My bond with Britney Spears:
1. Britney has had her fair share of ups and downs. My blood sugar also has had (and continues to have) its ups & downs.
2. Britney is currently performing on “The Strip”. I happen to find test strips EVERYWHERE.
3. Britney and I were both child brides.
4. We have both rocked bunny ears (my grandmother made mine. Not so sure about hers).
5. I have a Yorkie. Brit Brit also has a Yorkie (I think I look a bit happier with my little guy though).
6. Brit knows Michael Strahan. I explained Continuous Glucose Monitors to Michael Strahan (and we participated in an incredible JDRF’s Fund-A-Cure together…. “Gimme, Gimme More”).
7. Britney was married to a prick. I have to “prick” my finger multiple times a day (please note: I did not come up with this one myself. My friend M did and I laughed myself silly, said I could never use it in this post, and yet here it is, lucky #7).
8. Biker Babes (Britney looks cute, I will be THE sweaty mess of all messes after my 100 mile JDRF ride… Oh My God what have I gotten myself into??? Anything to cure T1D right?).
9. Britney and I both like our bedazzling (I tend to limit mine to arm Dexcom sites… most of the time).
10. Britney Spears wears pumps. I wear a pump too (slightly different version).
11. Britney shaved her hair extensions off her head. I briefly had extensions, they were a nightmare (hurt and would pop off). I get the head shaving Brit, believe me, we all need a break sometimes.
12. This is the most important one. Ready? Britney will be on stage in Las Vegas on February 28th… I will ALSO be in Vegas on February 28th but instead of singing, I will be speaking on a stage (although if need be, I’m willing to sing/maybe rap. I’m not opposed to dancing but really my moves are pretty much weak break dancing). I am THRILLED to be the opening speaker at JDRF Nevada’s Type One Nation Summit In Vegas! I am so honored to be able to share what it’s like to participate in a diabetes clinical trial, my Artificial Pancreas experience and some other insights, but wait until you see all the incredible presentations (and presenters) involved! Check this out! TypeOneNation Nevada Summit agenda
Incredible right? So are you anywhere near Las Vegas? Do you have T1D? Do you love someone with T1D? Do you care about someone with T1D? Are you enemies with someone with T1D (ok that part’s a joke. Cheeky, I know)? Here’s the Registration Info (yep, free).
JDRF Type One Nation Summits are happening throughout the country. If you would like to find one near you, click HERE.
If this post leaves you singing Britney Spears on automatic repeat, please know I’ve had Oops I Did It Again, Toxic and my fave, My Prerogative in my head for 3 weeks now (and have had many a morning shower dance-off to my girl Brit Brit). I know, You Drive Me Crazy, right? Also this post has been a project for my friends for weeks and one funny friend who put all these ridiculous photos together and came with all sorts of connections (Thank you!). Diabetes may suck sometimes, but I appreciate that this blog post brought me (and a few others) a lot of silly laughter.
See ya in Vegas!